.......................................Thanks for stopping by.................................................

ANWA Member since Oct. 2003 - Chapter President of "Write to the Point" writing group.


Friday, May 8, 2009

My Book review

Due to being sick this past week-end, I spent most of my time reading. The novel I read was: Counting the Cost by Liz Adair.
.
This is Liz’s fifth novel and I’ve enjoyed them all. I find her to be one of those novelists that can grab your attention at the beginning of the book and keep you spellbound to the last surprising chapter and page. Liz has a knack of transporting the reader into the story where they experience the action, loves, and heartaches of the lively characters within.
.
This fictional account is a love story set in the middle 1930’s New Mexico and Arizona. Counting the Cost is about Heck Benham and his struggles as a cowboy out on the range, whose life is changed drastically by a forbidden love. Heck is faced with decisions that will take him from the cowboy life, which not only he’s good at but that he loves, to the love of another kind. I found myself frustrated with him at times and excited and happy for him as well. Having grown up on what I lovingly call “a poor dirt farm” in Arizona, I could relate somewhat with some of his homes, activities, his love of cowboy life and some of the crude ways he was forced to live.
.
Life in the East for Mrs. Ruth Reynolds has been one of a total contrast from the life she’s asked to live when her husband moves her to a ranch in the west. One thing that I found both funny and poignant was when Ruth, in her fancy dresses & shoes, is required to learn to function doing manual labor with her delicately manicured hands. Ruth finds life with her husband to be one of great challenge. The decisions Ruth makes seem to have little regard for the cost to herself, her loved ones or those around her. I found that I admired her tenacity and persistence in being able and willing to do some of the things required of her, but also irritated by some of her thoughtless decisions.
.
Lucy, Heck’s little sister, becomes a true friend to not only her brother but to the proud Ruth Reynolds. When Ruth discovers Lucy has a talent for sewing, she asks Lucy to teach her how. This new found talent brings Ruth excitement, challenge and life changes that she would never have thought likely. Lucy goes through her own trials but is still able and willing to help others and to teach Heck and Ruth both valuable lessons.
.
Liz Adair paints a picture of human struggles in epic proportions. Trials of integrity, loyalty, forgiveness and the courage to face the cost of the decisions we make are all an intrinsic part of this story, where Liz takes us into the characters hearts and homes. If you’re interested in a good book to read, I recommend Counting the Cost by Liz Adair.
.

.

3 comments:

  1. Great review, Joyce. Makes me want to read it all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Joyce, not only because it was favorable to my book, but because it was well written. You seem to have a knack. Let us know whenever you do a review, and I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liz and Cecily you two rock!

    ReplyDelete